The Laundry Hack, An easy laundry guide.
In my last post about laundry, I talked about taming the laundry pile, which you can read here, since then, I decided to tweak the routine slightly and found that the whole process is now amazingly streamlined. In this post I’ll take you through the laundry hack which has helped me keep on top of the laundry pile!
I kept the same structure in place which I explained in detail in my first laundry post:
- Wash every single day without fail
- Then dry fold put away without fail
- Iron it if you can!
The central principle of the laundry hack is to focus on washing by person.
I decided to start by putting a Small Wicker Laundry Basket in my kid’s rooms and asking them to drop their stuff in there.
My 6yr old loved using his basket, but, my 10yr old preferred to drop her laundry on her floor, however, with perseverance and nagging, she got into the habit of popping it into the basket, and realised that if it was not in the basket, it didn’t get washed! To learn how to teach your kids to help with the chores here.
It took me quite a while to remember to check in the kid’s rooms for laundry rather than in one central laundry basket.
The laundry Hack
- Take one person’s basket downstairs and wash their load only.
- One white load and one colour load if necessary.
- If there isn’t enough washing, add a towel to the load, but there will probably be plenty to wash!
- Dry it, fold it, and put it away immediately.
- Iron if possible.
The benefit of doing the laundry hack every day is:
- There is no sorting to do.
- The basket you have washed and dried gets put away into one person’s room unless it needs ironing.
- Iron upstairs and put it away straight away, this helps stop laundry hanging around downstairs waiting to be folded and put away.
- Ironing immediately avoids the massive ironing mountain and ensures that the kids have school uniforms and sports kits always on hand.
- There is no emergency ironing.
- I wash my spouses and my clothes together as they are going to be put away in the same room.
I want my FREE checklist!
How to use the laundry hack when you work or are away from home during the day.
- On the days you work, or if you’re going to be out all day, put the laundry in the machine at night and, set it on a delayed wash, so it finishes when you wake up, then it will not sit in the washing machine getting wrinkled and fusty all night. Some energy providers have cheap electricity at night, so you may save money washing before dawn!
Most washing machines have a delay start option, if not you could use a timer.
- Hang it to dry outside or tumble it before going out to work,
- When you come home, fold it and put it away
- If anything is for ironing, iron it! It should take less than 15 mins!
- Put it away immediately! It is easier if you can iron upstairs.
Laundry stays organised if you deal with it daily.
Extra loads, towels or bedding, should be done at the weekend between ferrying the kids around!
Weekend laundry should follow the routine of wash, dry, put away, iron.
This routine is typical for our family of four, and you may need to adjust this simple routine to suit your family size.
Assign each member of the family their own colour socks, there are then no lost socks or lost hours trying to match into pairs!
You’ll also like
Pin it for later!