How To Prepare Simple Vegetable Bags For Meal Prep
In this easy meal prep guide, we will show you how spending some time preparing all the vital ingredients you need to cook your meals will help you get healthy food on the table in minutes. Meal planning and wise food storage are a critical foundation for meal prep.
Do you ever wish you could just open your fridge and have endless healthy food options readily chopped and prepared to choose from, for snacking or for speeding up your cooking time? If you are relying on supplements to boost your diet instead of eating healthy foods then stop right there!
In this post, we will talk you through some healthy meal prep ideas and show you how to meal prep vegetables and snacks to grab and go, so you get all the healthy vitamins and minerals you need in your diet!
Things you will need to start your bags for meal prep:
- Chopping board
- An empty uncluttered space to work at
- A sharp knife
- Some large bowls
- A clean organised and decluttered fridge and freezer.
- Some meal prep bags
- Meal prep containers or lunch boxes
- Large bowls
- Food processor (optional) for chopping and grating
- Uninterrupted time to complete your bags for meal prep
The benefits of meal prepping are:
- Less waste: think about all the food you throw away each week after all the food starts rotting in the back of the fridge because you didn’t have time to prepare them after a busy day at work. meal planning and meal prepping reduce the waste as you will only be buying food you will eat and will be planning for
. Healthierfood will be more convenient, therefore you will be more inclined to reach for the healthy option rather than the chocolate bar!
- Meals are made in minutes: because all your food for the weekly/monthly meal plan has been prepared well in advance.
- Meals and snacks become healthier: As fruit and vegetables are easier to grab and to add to dinners, sandwiches and to eat as a snack.
- You can use a portion control container for easy meal management if you are meal prepping for weight loss and fitness programmes.
- You can meal prep straight into a lunch box with an ice pack to take to work, this will save the many trips to the burger van or the pasty shop!
We all know how difficult it can be to get a healthy home cooked meal on the table after a long day at work, we also know how daunting it can be to start meal planning when you’ve never done it before that’s why this month we are taking you step by step through all the stages of meal planning ,this includes:
- Food shopping and pantry staples
- Meal planning
- Meal prep
- Batch cooking
- Meal prep containers
- ags for meal prep
The first thing you need to do when meal prepping
An essential part
Chopping food in advance
fter unpacking my grocery shopping, I always prep my vegetables and fruit for the week ahead. Chopping and preparing food makes it quick to prepare meals, snacks, lunches and sandwiches. It ensures that its easy for you to include fruit and vegetables at every meal.
How to meal prep for evening meals
There are many ways you can speed up your evening meal preparation by batch prepping and chopping vegetables to add to sauces, stews, salad, soups and for use as a side dish. once you get into the
- Butternut squash
How to meal prep for salads and sandwiches
If you are going to start taking lunches to work with you , make it easier to knock up a sandwich or a salad to go! If you can prepare everything you need for the week , sandwich making will take you seconds and you’ll be less likely to grab a takeout!
Like wise , if you have kids who have a packed lunch at school this is a game changer in the packed lunch making department!
- Red onion
- Sweet peppers
- Grated cheese
- Grated carrot
How to meal prep for kids snacks.
if your kids are like mine they are always looking for food and always want it when you are majorly busy and don’t have time to start chopping stuff up! i always have little bags of healthy food chopped up ready for my kids to just grab out of the fridge.
- Cucumber sticks
- Carrot batons
- Sweet peppers
Kids meal prep bags
I make my kids little bags for meal prep, to help me control and reduce the amount of sugary and salty snacks my kids eat in between meals. The price of kid’s healthy shop bought snacks is astronomical so this is a good way to save money too! I usually add a mix of anything I’ve got in the cupboards
- Dried mango
- Sultanas or raisins
- Dried pineapple
- Banana chips
- Dried apples
- Dried cranberries
- Mixed nuts
- Mixed Seeds
- Fresh fruit
- Carrot sticks
I prepare approximately ten bags for meal prep at a time and put them in the fruit bowl as a healthy size grab bag for school or after-school sports; it’s a great way for your kids to get a quick burst of energy and
For advice on kid’s recommended portion sizes click here
Meal prep for Freezing
Frozen meat bags for meal prep
- Stewing steak
- Chicken mini fillets
- Ground beef
- Pork shoulder for pulled pork
- Beef brisket
- Lamb Chops
Try to freeze your meat as flat as you can in your meal prep bags, this will speed up thawing time when you thaw it out the night before you need and will help if you want
Smoothie meal prep bags
My kids love smoothies, they will eat them for breakfast dinner and lunch! its a fantastic way to get more fruit and vegetables into your kids without a huge fight! to freeze individual smoothie portions , I grab some bags for meal prep and add a base of spinach, then I add a combination of 2-3 other fruits from the list below.
There is no need to thaw these bags, you can just throw into the blender in the morning with some chocolate soya milk, almond milk or coconut water for a healthy delicious breakfast! You can
How to get into a meal prep routine!
- Before bed check your meal planner to see what you are cooking tomorrow.
- Thaw the meat needed for your meal.
- Prepare sandwiches for lunches and snack bags with prepared vegetables and fruit and place in snack bags for meal prep, then store in the refrigerator ready for tomorrow.
- In the morning, throw all pre-chopped ingredients and defrosted meat or meat substitute into the slow cooker with stock and switch on. (Slow cooked meals only).
- If you are not using a slow
cooker, theevening meal can be prepared using all the readily prepared food in the fridge.
For more ideas about how to batch cook for the week head on over to my batch cooking for beginners post by hitting the button below!
Meal prep containers
Make all your storage stackable for fridge and pantry preparation, this makes it easy to see what you have and stops things getting pushed to the back of the fridge! Here are some of my favourite stackable dishwasher safe meal prep containers to make meal prepping a breeze!
Meal prep lunch box
If you are meal prepping lunches or dinners these meal prep lunch boxes are ideal to stack in the fridge and can be reused, just pop them next to some frozen gel packs for a fresh healthy easy lunch!
Bags for meal prep
hese IKEA bags are my go-to meal pre bags as they are tough, reusable and are great for batch cooking and freezing. They are fabulous for meal prepping kids snacks too. In my view, these are by far the best bags for meal prep!
Frequently asked Q&A
What is the best way to meal prep? Firstly plan your meals, then make sure you have sufficient containers or bags for meal prep. Then follow our meal prep guide to get you started!
Which foods can be prepared in advance for the week?
Which meals can I prep ahead?
Which is the best way to prepare food in advance?
If you enjoyed this post then why not subscribe to our updates, just click the button below !
Pin it for later!