How To Get Sparkling Clean Windows And Glass
How do I get streak-free windows? This is one of the questions I get asked all the time as a professional cleaner, the good news is, you’ll find all the answers right here in this post!
Getting sparkling clean windows and glass can be time-consuming and frustrating in this post, ask a professional cleaner! I’ll show you how to get streak free windows in seconds with my window cleaning tips!
Any dog owner or mum to a toddler would probably tell you that trying to get shiny windows is the bane of their lives.
As a mother of little kids, two cats and as a professional domestic, commercial cleaner and organiser I’m here to tell you that it’s the bane of my life too!
There are tons of products which promise a streak-free window and streak-free chrome, I have tried a vast amount of products both store-bought and professional products, and I have to say I’ve been bitterly disappointed with nearly all of them!
If your glass cleaning technique isn’t correct, you can end up working really hard for hugely disappointing results, and you may find yourself cleaning the area a second time finding the same thing happens again!
There’s no great trick to getting sparkling clean windows; it’s all down to the tools you use and your technique, just ask a professional cleaner!
The best glass cleaning cloths for sparkling clean windows.
Glass cleaning cloths are probably the essential tool in your quest for streak-free window cleaning and streak- free chrome.
If you’re trying to get streak free windows and are using a standard everyday cloth, rag or microfiber, then you’re going to be polishing for a very long time to remove the lint and streaks.
I wouldn’t even attempt to polish glass or chrome without using a special glass cloth.
Glass cloths are designed so that they can be used just with water; they work brilliantly well with just water. However, there are times when you may need a little boost to remove dried on toothpaste, if you’ve got small kids, or to remove the marks on your glass from your pets.
The glass cloth I recommend for shiny windows is the e-cloth, it is lint-free and does not leave any residue on the surface of your glass or chrome.
How to get streak free windows!
When it comes to getting streak-free windows, its pretty simple, just ask a professional!
- The drier your cloth, the better your shine, most people, soak the surface they are cleaning with so much product that it can be almost impossible you clean and dry. What happens then, is that the product air dies onto the glass and that’s what leaves the steaks!
A tiny amount of water on your cloth is all you need, if you have a heavily soiled surface increase the wetness of your cloth but do not over soak.
- Spot clean, for mirrors and windows, try to deal with the heavily soiled areas first before cleaning the whole area. If you soak the entire area, you will be smearing the dirt onto the clean areas. Spot clean the caked-on dirt first, then polish at the end.
- Don’t overspray, after removing the crud you should now only need the tiniest spray on the area you are cleaning, the more product you use, the harder it will be to clean off and the more time-consuming it will be.
How to make a streak-free window cleaner
There are hundreds of glass cleaners on the market, and some leave horrendous streaks!
I like to make my own DIY no rinse window cleaner because it is cheaper than shop bought products, smells amazing and never streaks!
You can make a vinegar based no scrub window cleaner by using one part white vinegar to two parts distilled water.
I prefer to use rubbing alcohol for sparkling clean windows. If you’re wondering how to make streak free window cleaner that also smells amazing here is the recipe for my peppermint window cleaner which is perfect for bathroom windows and shower doors!
Best window cleaning solution for streak-free windows
You can replace the peppermint oil in your spray bottle with your favourite essential oil, to make window washing smell even better!
- To avoid the build-up of watermarks on shower doors, try using a squeegee to wipe off all the drips every time you shower, it only takes seconds but saves so much time cleaning!
- Remember to use a step ladder when cleaning windows out of reach!
- If you’re cleaning windows after home improvement remember to remove all the builder’s dust before spraying your cleaner to avoid streaks and smears!
I have tried every product in the book over the years, for both professional and domestic window washing, and there is one product I keep returning to, as I find it never streaks, Xanto Power Active window and glass cleaner 650ml £5.24, is by far the best streak-free glass cleaner I’ve tried. I usually get it in the bargain shops here in the UK, but you can order it below from Amazon
I also use the same cleaning solution on glazed tile and all other high gloss surfaces like kitchen cabinets.
So now you should be able to put your feet up and admire the views through your sparkling clean windows!
Don’t miss our weekly updates!
Want to ask a question or need advice about streak free windows? Leave us a comment below!
For more information read:
Pin it for later!