How to stop buying more stuff
Whilst sitting in the doctors waiting room yesterday I picked up a glossy magazine and the headlines screamed out…….
- “The must-have handbag! “
- “Why I can’t live without velvet! “
- “Life changing eyeshadow pallet!”
This got me thinking, why is it a “must have handbag ?”
So let’s break it down, it’s literally just a handbag that someone has decided you must have!
- If you want a handbag choose one that you like, not because someone in a marketing office has told you it’s a must-have.
- You have your own style and don’t need a “must have” handbag to validate that.
- The “why I can’t live without velvet” … person has a serious issue, I urge them to try to live without velvet, I’m pretty sure that they’ll survive!
- As for the “life-changing eyeshadow pallet ” in my opinion, becoming a parent, losing your job, moving abroad are “life-changing ” events an eyeshadow pallet is not life changing in most cases!
- The headline which really caught my attention for all the wrong reasons was
“the lipstick to make you beautiful”, as if any one product could make anyone person beautiful.
I agree with Audrey Hepburn who said that “the most beautiful thing anyone can put on their face is a smile “.
Gratitude, kindness empathy and humility make a person beautiful, these are qualities which shine from within, these are the lessons we should be teaching our children.
So how do we stop buying more stuff?
What to do right now to see your money grow!
- Stop falling for the constant consumerism mumbo jumbo that advertisers are constantly bombarding us with, read between the lines!
- Bear in mind we don’t need anything other than the basics to keep us alive!
- Stop buying “stuff” which will end up in the charity shop in six months time.
- Start instead to save your money.
- Start a small emergency fund to cover any repairs or breakages.
- Pay off your debts.
- Never spend more than you earn.
- Get rid of the credit cards.
- Follow the principle that ” a penny saved is a penny earned”
Try this for a month and you’ll be surprised exactly how different things can be by wanting less. After a short time, you will have more financial freedom to do the things you really love and to create memories.
You’ll also like
- How to declutter When Your Partner Isn’t On Board ~ Simple tips to cut through the clutter!
- How I Started Living With Less.
- Organised ? One Reason You Suck At Being Organised And How To Fix It In One Easy Step
- Morning routine ~ how to create a calm morning routine.
- The Minimalists
For more cleaning, organising, decluttering and parenting tips and support, why not join our cosy Facebook group.
For more organising ideas follow me on Pinterest
and for daily motivation and tips follow me on Instagram
Don’t miss all our free stuff!
Why not pin it?