How To Declutter The Junk Drawer In One Easy Step!
How to organise your junk drawer
I just want to throw it out there, that it is virtually impossible to organise clutter.
And, a junk drawer is literally somewhere you stash your clutter.
With that being said, it’s not going to be easy to declutter your junk drawer and keep it decluttered for any length of time, especially if your family shove stuff in there on a regular basis.
You and your family members may use the excuse that you need to keep your clutter in the junk drawer because it’s “handy”.
However, it’s not so handy having to dig through reams of other junk in the drawer, when you need something in a hurry.
Let’s examine the typical contents of the junk drawer.
- Tape measure ~ keep in the toolbox.
- Phone chargers ~ keep at the charging station.
- Sticky tape ~ keep with the stationary.
- Pens ~ keep with the stationary.
- Nail clippers ~ keep with beauty products or in the bathroom cabinet.
- Random keys ~ keep on a designated on the key hook.
- Random cables ~ declutter if not needed.
- Hair bobbles ~ keep in the bedroom
- Medicine ~ keep all together in a medicine cabinet
- Plastic bags~keep in the car boot for shopping
- Lipbalm ~ keep in with the beauty products or makeup kit
- Flasks and bottle lids should be stored with the bottles and flasks
- sandwich bags ~shouldd live with the Tupperware for easy food prep.
Every single item in that junk drawer has another home, there is absolutely no reason to accumulate all that stuff together in one random drawer!
This drawer has been decluttered and organised specifically for meal planning and batch cooking after all the other items were returned to where they belong.
How to declutter the junk drawer.
Everything residing in your junk drawer belongs somewhere else in the home.
Tip it all out and go and put it all away. No more trying to organise the junk drawer, just go and put it all away.
Now, use the newly empty drawer declutter something from your countertops or surfaces and out of sight, and voila you’ve killed two birds with one stone! Look at your kitchen counters, what could you put in your newly emptied drawer?
If you’re looking for motivation to start decluttering, the junk drawer is a great place to start, it’s a five-minute job which will free up space in your kitchen and will make a big difference to your kitchen space.
As you start to declutter your junk drawer you should start to realise that you often just shove things where they don’t belong when you are in a hurry, this is the slippery slope of clutter and the reason most of us can’t stay organised.
Having a drawer solely dedicated to “junk” is fooling ourselves into believing that it’s ok just to shove things in the nearest drawer or cupboard.
Have a think about the other drawers in your house, do you have more than one junk drawer, if so put that on your decluttering todo list!
Let’s break this habit today, starting with decluttering the junk drawer!
Why not put a knife block into your new empty drawer to keep you knives sharp and organised! click on the image to order from Amazon.
If you enjoyed this post, you may also like
- How I Started Living With Less.
- One Reason You Suck At Being Organised And How To Fix It In One Easy Step
- How To Organise Your Kitchen Like A Professional.
- FREE Pantry Staples Checklist To Help You With Your Meal Planning!
- Meal Planning For Beginners, A Step By Step Guide With Free Templates
- Healthy Meal Prep Ideas, A Step By Step Guide With FREE Checklists.
- The Minimalists